Monday, July 16, 2007

self-contained classrooms

Today Kelly Jewel and I were at a science conference that focused on how to integrate reading skills into science and vice versa. We talked a lot about ways to help our kids practice reading more by planning more activities that force them to communicate and read during science class, or use science topics to teach skills during your reading time. It created this internal struggle with me that I know lots of us deal with from time to time, but have never really had a "professional conversation" about how we all feel about it. I'm sure things are different for 6th graders, but as a 5th grade teacher I always wonder if teaming is best for my class. See, I was really encouraged today to find a way to put my GLE's together in a way that makes it really easy to plan units that allow students to inquire about lots of cross-curricular ideas. But then I start worrying about my 2nd section of science. I only get to teach Andrea's kids 200 minutes a week, so if I continue a science lesson during reading (while practicing reading skills), am I short-changing Andrea's class? Or if Andrea wants her kids to continue a S.S. lesson during writing, is my class missing out? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE teaming! It's so nice to know that I can trust Andrea to teach my class the S.S. GLE's, and I don't have to plan that, but I also wonder if I couldn't do more cross-curricular "stuff" with them if I kept my homeroom all day. It's really hard to think about giving up teaming; more than likely our kids are developmentally in need of changing classes, but what if.... What do you think?

6 comments:

Casey Dawn said...

I've actually wondered the same thing. The more we keep talking about carrying reading and writing into the other subjects, the more i wonder if my kids are lacking because of the limitation that teaming places. I guess my problem is that i don't know if i'm able to do awesome cross curricular activities with my class and not violet's. Timing is a huge issue, just as Erin mentioned. Do we have to teach with the same method for our "team" classes? Or is it okay to do huge projects with our own classes and not the other? Erin, I'm afraid I didn't answer your question..just added more to it. Or made it more confusing...whichever you choose. :)

Anonymous said...

I am in the same boat. Melissa and I talked last year about the fact that we are both sure my kids get way more instructional time in science than her kids and vice versa with social studies. One thing I tried to use to help fill some of the gaps was science spin and weekly reader. Weekly reader, especially, hit a lot of social studies topics, not necessarily in the order they were being taught, but it helped me stay in touch with what was happening in the world of history. It is a very small piece to the whole cross curricular conundrum, but helped a little. Otherwise, I feel the same way as you guys. How do we meet the needs of our students while teaming and make sure each class is receiving the same benefits? Sorry, not much help, but glad other people have the same questions. If I didn't love teaming, I would never have moved to 6th grade, but the challenge is still there. Look forward to other people's comments!

Sember said...

Mary and I have found a few fun ways to teach our 'core' areas while focusing on two contents at once;

One is to do readers theaters and plays (in language) focusing on social studies & science content. The one that was shown on PNN for example was done by both classes together.

Another good chance was to work on 'singing' and chanting the "Three Branches of Government" song... doing an oral presentation which had rhyming and other poetic devices that she discussed in her language -- while also covering other content.

Students worked on these and other 'joint' projects in either or both classrooms as time allowed, as we were covering items pertaining to both.

Andrea Hughes said...

If you plan together you can do those cross-curricular activities together. Erin, I feel like we plan together so much that if we planned to do those activities we could. I think Sember and Mary were an excellent example to how to work reading and writing into all aspects of the classroom. They always had great activities and were constantly going back and forth between classes working with both sets of kids. Luckily for social studies teachers our new textbooks include so many aspects of language arts that we are able to work with both classes on these skills. Plus, I think it is an advantage for the kids to have different teachers, especially when we include language within the content. One of my students may be struggling with some language concept in my classroom but having Erin explain it in another way may help that student to grasp the concept. I know we have all taken classes or gone to workshops that include language in all areas of education so we should all trust each other, plan together, and include language within the time we have with each others students.

natalie said...

I understand the concern here...but...I have taught self-contained and departmentalized, and to tell you the truth, I can be a better teacher focusing on one, two, or three subjects as opposed to 6! I think the key is preparation and communication. There's also trust. I would love to spend the whole day doing a project with my class...but as you know, it just ends up being extended over several days. It's a vicious circle. Teaming is the ONLY way to prepare kids for Jr. High and High School. I don't know the right answer to your concerns. I just think that we have to make the best of our situation and work together as best we can. Working with 4 teachers this year is going to be a challenge, but I know we can make it work and share the love to be the best team at our school!!! Strictly my opinion...

Anonymous said...

Natalie-
I completely agree. I too have taught in a self-contained and departmentalized classroom. I feel I can create better lessons if I "specialize" in area(s). It it easier to create cross-curricular activites when you have more time to devote to them.
Fewer lessons = deeper lessons
Teaming can also give teachers a chance to bounce ideas off each other, plan together, and help one another with our areas of weakness.
Seems very PLC to me.
Go Natalie!